13 Best Amazon Accounting Software for Sellers in 2023
A problem that many Amazon sellers have is accounting. They outsource this to a bookkeeper. As experience would have it, I can say it only adds to your overhead cost.
Despite this, accounting software is a necessity. It allows an Amazon seller to list down sales, track inventory, and also review reports. With accounting software, you could also send invoices and pay employees.
I found out that there are hundreds of accounting software for Amazon sellers. I got confused. My experience led me to believe that many Amazon sellers like you and me need help.
Today, I’ll share the best accounting software for Amazon sellers based on their features, pricing and more. My list comes only from the things I tried. This way, you will not spend as much time as I did.
What Is The Best Amazon Accounting Software
With QuickBooks Online, you can add your employee details and up to five seller accounts or users. You can also track sales in multiple currencies.
Furthermore, QuickBooks gives you the power to track your inventory and even import data from a spreadsheet.
In addition, QuickBooks has a robust dashboard that gives you a quick snapshot of your business health.
- Track income & expenses – list down your expenses and categorize them.
- Send custom invoices & quotes – get paid by clients. Then, transfer the payment through QuickBooks by connecting your bank account.
- Report – shows you a quick view of how much money went in and out.
- Expense dashboard – a pie chart breaks down your expenses per category. So you can easily see the top areas where you are sending the most money.
- Track VAT – set up your sales tax standards in QuickBooks. Make this automatic or set them up manually. You can set default rates for what you buy, sell, and spend. Next, choose your reporting method (accrual or cash) and filing frequency.
- Insights & reports – you can view insights and reports in QuickBooks from your dashboard. This area also has a shortcut to everyday tasks.
QuickBooks Online offers you three plans, each with varying features. All of these have free trial periods for 30 days.
- Simple Start-Up – costs $8 per month. Track income and expenses and send custom invoices.
- Essentials – costs $12.5 per month. Here you can view insights and reports. You can use multiple currencies.
- Plus – it costs $17 per month. It offers a feature where you could track inventory. You can also add five users and track projects and locations.
You can experience how it is to use Quickbooks for free by signing up for their free trial.
A2X is one of the most popular accounting programs for Amazon sellers. It works great with Amazon Shopify, eBay, and Etsy. What it does is import sales data from Amazon to your account. Thus, it is easier to manage your accounting from the tool.
The tool also has inventory accounting. It tracks how many stocks are available in your Amazon FBA. Order just in time to prevent sales loss for out-of-stock items. With the multiple currency feature, you can track your sales in various currencies.
Take note that each plan has a limit to the number of sales you can track. For example, at the Mini Plan, you can only track up to 200 orders. If you are selling more than 5,000 orders per month, you have to get the Standard 10K.
A2X is something you have to consider if you need an integrated platform with Amazon. I recommend this to sellers who use different e-commerce platforms. It does offer a free trial and easy single sign-on using your Google account.
- Email and live chat support – seek help from a customer service employee if you are stuck.
- Cost of goods sold – has a tracking or accounting system for COGS based on your e-commerce sales.
- Historical data – the system will keep data for more than two years. Each plan has a limitation to this. For example, at the Mini plan, you could only view the past three months of history.
- Unlimited marketplaces – each plan gives you access to one Amazon Merchant ID. However, the Starter plan and up allows you to add other marketplaces. Examples of these are Shopify and Etsy.
- Integration – the accounting system integrates with your online store. There is no need to transfer sales data manually. The integration is seamless. There is no need to learn how to code to do this. All you need is to click some buttons and enter your credentials.
Only the Mini Plan does not give you access to the FBA inventory location and COGS.
- Mini – $19/month. View up to three months of history. You also get access to live chat and email support.
- Starter – $49/month. You have access to FBA inventory locations. You can also track COGS.
- Standard – $69/month.
- Standard 10K – $139/month.
You can test A2X for free with their trial offer with no credit card required.
Xero is popular because of its robust processes in accounting. It also allows users to import data from other programs. For example, you can use it to track and analyze your sales, income and connect bank information for seller accounts.
Xero has a contact feature where you could store contacts for your suppliers. In addition, it has a complete history of your emails, invoices, and payment transactions.
You can also use the data capture feature. It gives you copies of business documents.
You can also download them no matter where you are. It has a filing system to help you organize your documents. You can share these files with other users or with your clients and billers.
As far as reporting goes, the accounting system has a robust reporting dashboard. As an Amazon seller, you will see a quick snapshot of how your business is performing.
Xero is an excellent tool for an Amazon seller. It has a nice and clean dashboard with an easy set-up process. You can also integrate it with a payroll called Gusto. Try it free for 30 days and see the software in action.
- Pay bills and send invoices – you can use the system to track your bills. Check your accounts payable in the dashboard. Find out if you owe anything to anybody. You can also send quotes and invoices, but this feature has a limitation.
- Claim expenses – the system allows you to capture and track your costs. It includes employee payments and expenses.
- Bank connections – you can connect your bank account to see your running balances. You can also transfer funds between accounts.
- Accept payments – an excellent feature for people who want to receive cash via Stripe. In addition, you can integrate Stripe into your account and other payment processing systems.
- Project tracking – you can create price quotes and even get paid for a job. In addition, the system allows you to track time, money and profitability.
Xero has three plans that differ in features. The base plan does not have the multiple currency feature. Regardless of the one you get, there are features that you can only get via add-ons.
- Starter – costs $20 per month. You can send quotes and up to 20 invoices.
- Standard – cost $30 per month. No limit on invoicing.
- Premium – costs $40 per month. You can track data for multiple currencies.
Get Xero now for free for 30 days and test its features for sending invoices and entering bills.
4. Accounting Suite
Accounting Suite is a powerful tool for an Amazon seller. It can rival QuickBooks, to be honest with you. It has multiple Amazon business functions, and it is easy to use. The tool has banking, inventory, and sales management tracking.
It also has a Purchase feature. Track your purchase orders, bills payments and receipts. This feature also allows you to track invoices and final purchasing costs. You can also void checks.
One thing you will love is the sales feature. Send sales quotes and view your orders. See a report on your cash sales and shipments. The tool also supports multiple types of currency.
The sales dashboard also allows you to create invoices and record receipts and credit memos. On top of this, you can issue refunds from here.
This tool is excellent for an Amazon seller who has the budget to spare. However, at the very least, you must get the Business Plan that costs $25 per month. In addition, you would love it that they offer a core training program that will make you better at your bookkeeper tasks.
- Banking – register your bank and do bank transfers and deposits. This feature also allows you to print checks and make payments.
- Accounting – you can input data for your general ledger and journal. Create budgets and view charts to see if you are within your sending limits.
- Reporting – has a robust reporting dashboard where you can see your income statement. This dashboard also shows cash flow, balance sheet, ledger on a cash basis, and many more.
- Inventory – track your items with serial numbers. It also has FIFO costing and warehouse transfers. This report is so flexible that you can even have data on assembly builds.
- Integration – you can integrate the program with many other apps like ShipStation, Squarespace, WooCommerce, and many more.
The Accounting Suite has four plans.
- Startup – $19 per month. Only one user is allowed.
- Business – $25 per month. In addition, you will have access to Sales and Purchase Sales Tax features.
- Professional -$55 per month. Maximum of 5 users. You will be able to use the inventory feature.
- Pro – $129 per month. Maximum of 10 users with e-commerce features.
Get the customizable Accounting Suite for free and see how robust it is against the others.
This software is an online accounting program for Amazon FBA sellers. It is ideal for those who want to import data from Amazon to QuickBooks online. You will need any of the following accounts to be able to use it:
- Quickbooks Online
Taxomate has importation features: You can import data for referral fees, order sales, and refunded fees. You can also import Amazon CPA and FBA fees.
This tool is something I would recommend for QuickBooks online users. It prevents you from manually transferring data from Amazon to an accounting software program. But, of course, it is not going to work if you do not have QuickBooks or the others.
- Automatic Sync – put all your Amazon transactions in one place.
- Amazon Fees – the system calculates your Amazon fees. It also calculates costs of shipping and advertising.
- Integration – you can integrate it with QuickBooks Online, Shopify, Wave, and Xero.
- COGS Tracking – it tracks your cost of goods sold. It is helpful to avoid expensing your inventories in your books.
- Reports – the system has a robust reporting system. For example, you can view your sales tax, sales, and reimbursements.
The program has three plans, all of which have the same features. The difference between the plans is the number of orders you can track per month.
- Starter – $12 per month. It has basic features. However, you are limited to 500 orders.
- 1K Plan – $20 per month. Your limit is now 1,000 orders per month.
- 5K Plan – $37 per month. You can sell up to 5,000 orders per month.
Try Taxomate for free and see for yourself why Amazon sellers gave this a perfect rating of 5 Stars.
Freshbooks is one you should consider if you need estimates on your invoices. It also has time-tracking software, which you could use for your employees. It is best for self-employed Amazon sellers.
Apart from accounting and expenses, it does offer project tracking and proposals. Those who are in the Amazon FBA business will find these features useful for expansion.
Freshbooks is a fresh take on how an accounting software program should look. The creators combined many facets of what Amazon sellers need. What you can do is to try the program for 30 days. After that, you can access the features and then decide later about which plan suits your needs.
- Mileage tracking – allows you to measure the distance of what you traveled. For example, you will know how much gasoline you spent on getting inventory or supplies.
- Expense – you can track your expenses without manual entry. You can also import data from other sources. It also allows you to take pictures of receipts and log them into the system.
- Double-entry – ensure the accuracy of your data. This feature allows you to calculate profits and losses.
- Financial reporting – see reports on demand. Assess how your Amazon business is performing at a glance.
- Time-tracking – this is not time-tracking software for employees. Instead, it is a tool to track your productivity. For example, it will help you understand where you spend the most time in your Amazon business.
- Lite – $15 per month. You can manage up to five clients per month and send invoices. It also has a reporting dashboard and sales tracking.
- Plus – $25 per month. The features are similar to Lite. In addition, it has a client retainer, proposal functions and double-entry reports.
- Premium – costs $50 per month. In addition, you can create email templates and accept e-signatures.
- Select – this one has custom pricing for large companies.
Get the free trial of Freshbooks and see why it is a fresh way to manage your accounting tasks.
Kashoo is accounting software that works great for people on the go. It has a beautiful app, so you can take it wherever and do your accounting work. The program allows you to do double-entry ledgers too.
Large companies can add multiple users to one account. It has a payroll system, and you can track several projects.
- Invoices and Payments – create invoices and accept payments with the tool. Credit card payments have a cost.
- Sales and Expense Tracking – track your income and expenses in detail. Then, manage your sales taxes on the platform.
- IRS & CRA Standard – choose which standard to use for your accounting. Then, make it easier for you and your accountant to prepare a Certificate of Accuracy.
- Reporting Dashboard – view your cash flow. Check which financial areas of your Amazon business need attention.
- Inventory – track your inventory items. Check whether it is time to add more items to your Amazon store. View which products are not moving and make FBA business decisions.
- Truly Small Invoices – free to use, but you can only do invoices. You can get up to 10 credit card payments without paying a transaction fee.
- Truly Small Accounting – $20 per month. It is a total accounting solution. However, it has no payroll nor inventory management features.
- Kashoo – $30 per month. Best for companies that need to do inventory and payroll.
Get Kashoo for free here and upgrade when you want to use its full accounting features.
8. SAGE 50 Accounting
An Amazon seller who wants simple accounting software must try Sage 50. It offers cash flow reports and invoicing. There is also a payroll component to it, plus job costing.
The program has an advanced inventory management system. Its reporting dashboard is also robust. For example, it can show you your top five expense drivers at specific intervals.
- Cash flow and invoicing – broadcast your invoices to customers. Use recurring invoices with a Pay Now function.
- Payments and banking – connect to your bank feeds and manage your account’s payables. You can also automate payment processes from the backend.
- Advanced inventory management – enter the item information then the software will do the rest.
- Job costing – get insights into how much projects cost you. Understand where the money is going and create cost codes for each project.
- Payroll – simplify your payroll processes and use direct deposits.
- Pro Accounting – $56.08/month. Get a simple accounting software with only one user. This plan is best for small businesses.
- Premium Accounting – $84.58/month. Get the advanced software and pay extra if you want to add more users.
- Quantum Accounting – $139.58/month. Get the full suite of features. Choose features that apply to your industry.
Get the free trial of Sage 50 and test drive the software.
Sellerboard is hybrid accounting software. Apart from standard accounting, the software has PPC optimization software. So, you can track whether your ads are making money or not. It even tells you how your keyword choices impact your sales.
- Live dashboard – get detailed information about your sales and fees. See your PPC performance and expenses. Then, make decisions whether or not to pursue your advertising efforts.
- Configurable charts – design your charts and reports. Add and remove elements according to your priorities.
- Profit and loss – see a top view of your financial health. Access the monthly chart of your expenses, sales, and net margin. There is also a place to see your VAT costs and refunds.
- Product breakdown – check performance details on each product, not just categories. First, view your revenue and COGS. Then, track expenses for each item you sell as an Amazon seller.
- Expense monitoring – there is a separate dashboard for your expenses. It tracks all expenses like warehouse fees, one-time costs, packaging expenses, and more.
- Standard – $15/month. It has a maximum of 3,000 orders and 150 follow-up emails. In addition, you can get automated reports and add one extra user.
- Professional – $23/month. Process 6,000 orders and six seller accounts.
- Business – $31/month. Get eight reports and process up to 15,000 orders.
- Enterprise – You can process up to 50,000 orders. The cost is $63 per month.
Try Sellerboard for free for 30 days here and see how it can increase your sales and profits.
What Is The Best Free Accounting Software For Amazon FBA Sellers?
Not all accounting software programs for Amazon have a monthly cost. Instead, there are free alternatives that you can use. These alternatives are fantastic if you are just starting.
1. Google Sheets / MS Excel
If you are proficient in using these spreadsheets, you have your fundamental problems solved. You can use formulas, templates, and pivots. In addition, you could use VBA to customize your spreadsheet.
This Amazon FBA accounting software is 100% free, and it does not offer any plan at all. If you use this, you will have access to several accounting features. Examples are tracking, collaborators, card connections, and bank connections.
ZipBooks is an option you must check. Do this if you are shifting from a spreadsheet to cloud-based accounting software. The free plan allows you to send invoices and receive money. However, the report view is crude, and you can only connect one bank account.
Free software programs for Amazon have limited features. Of these three, I strongly recommend Wave because it has the most robust features.
What is Amazon Accounting?
Amazon Accounting deals with tracking your income and expenses. The purpose of this is to have a ledger of financial activities. This ledger is going to be your official documentation. It is something you use for Amazon business decisions and taxation.
Below are some activities that you should be doing for your Amazon business.
1. Tracking cash flow and income
Tracking the money that comes in and comes out is a fundamental business principle. Anyone who has a business must do this. The remaining balance is your profit.
One sad reality is many businesses do not do this. Instead, they spend on things like packaging and stickers without accounting for them. Little do they know that they are spending more than what they are bringing in.
This mistake, of course, is one of the most common causes of bankruptcy. However, if you use the best accounting software, this is not likely to happen to you.
Accounting gives you a bird’s eye view of your financial health. The exercise itself lets you see your profits, losses, and your income statement.
2. Tracking & managing inventory & expenses
If you list down all our expenses and assets, you can see a trend month on month. A graphical chart tells you which months have the highest expenditures.
Information like this can help you spot which areas need your attention. For example, let us say that June has twice the expenses as the previous months. From here, you can start digging why.
You likely spend a lot of money on PPC ads. You can decide to pursue the same action plans in the future. If the PPC campaign did not work, then why bother?
3. Creating a cash flow forecast
The bloodline of every Amazon business is cash flow. Cash flow refers to the money that comes in and out. It tells you how much money the company is generating.
If you have consistent data on this, you can make business projections. For example, you can identify that December is your best month. You can act on it if you know how much money you are taking in on some seasons.
Let us say that the 2nd quarter is performing poorly year on year. From this information, you can tell that you must not spend a lot of money during that season.
4. Calculating taxes
An Amazon accounting tool allows you to calculate taxes without a headache. In manual accounting, you have to list down your expenses and income. It is how you calculate taxes.
Amazon accounting works in the same way. The beauty of Amazon FBA accounting software is that everything has automation. All you have to do is to input the data. Then, the tool will do all the calculations for you.
5. Preparing financial statements
The last purpose of Amazon accounting is for financial statements. It is something you have to submit to the government. For a corporation, your stakeholders will need the same document.
A financial statement is a report that summarizes your business’s health. The thing is that there are many types of this document. For example, there is the balance sheet, income statement, and many more.
Amazon accounting is no different from other business accounting. It is a standard practice that you must carry out. It is the only activity that supplies you with business information. Then, you can use it to make sound decisions.
Features to look for in an Accounting Software
Before you purchase or subscribe to accounting software, you have to identify what features matter. Below is a list that can guide you. Different people have different needs, so pick the ones that are most important for your business.
1. Track income and cash flow
Choose a program that calculates income based on revenue and expenses. You must not have to calculate this manually.
The program must allow you to drill down per month and week. Therefore, it should give you a better view of what your business is doing on a particular cycle.
Cash flow refers to expenses and income. A good program must have a summary of each. You must be able to filter dates too.
A good program must be able to show you whether your cash flow is negative or positive.
2. Inventory tracking
Inventory is an essential feature in accounting for Amazon. Inventory tracking shows you your stock status. As such, you can decide whether or not to buy more products to sell.
As an FBA seller, you must know how many items are in stock in Amazon’s warehouse. If you do, you have ample time to order and ship it to Amazon. Inventory tracking allows you to stock up as needed. In addition, good inventory management prevents you from losing sales.
Inventory tracking also provides you with a quick snapshot of your capital expenses. You can use this data in your accounting report.
3. Expense tracking
Look for an Amazon accounting software program that shows a breakdown of your expenses. A good program allows you to categorize your expenses. The program must be able to show you charts in different periods.
Expenses are like leaks. In a business, you may be spending too much on something without knowing. However, if one category proves to be the top driver of expenses, you can take action to reduce it.
Without expense tracking, you will have to guess what is driving your costs. As you know, guessing in business is dangerous. You have to stick with facts, and only an expense tracking feature can give you this.
4. Amazon fees management
Amazon charges so many fees. There is a sales fee, a referral fee, and others. A good program must allow you to list down these fees separately. It should quickly tell you what percentage of your total expenses goes to fees.
A snapshot of your fees also tells you if you have to increase your prices. In another situation, an Amazon FBA seller may opt to pay sales fees per month or item. If you know how much you spent on a per-item fee, you could assess if you need to shift to a monthly fee model.
5. Automatic backups
The last thing you want to happen is to lose all your data. People who use spreadsheets know this. The file gets deleted, and it is forever lost.
It can also happen in cloud-based accounting software services. Servers store your files, and servers can crash. The only solution to this is to back up the files on another server.
You cannot expect yourself to do a manual backup daily, can you? A good program must have automatic backups. Then, if the server ever crashes, they can always restore your data.
6. Real-time updates
Once you make an entry, this entry should be readily available. If the program cannot do this, you have to step away. Do not get an Amazon accounting software program that only updates once a day.
You see, bookkeeping is not something that you schedule. You need to make business decisions at random times of the day. It all depends on your availability as the owner.
I think that only outdated programs update on a schedule. It is because computer programming has become so powerful. For example, almost all Amazon FBA accounting software programs now update on a real-time basis.
7. Reporting and Dashboard
One of the features you need to pay attention to is reporting. Nothing is worse than looking at cells in a spreadsheet.
Choose a program that has charts and graphs. Then, pick one that you can toggle. For example, if you want a monthly column chart, the program must show this.
It is easier to interpret your financial health with pie charts and graphs. Trend lines are also excellent so that you can spot fluctuations.
8. Multiple users and accounts
Some Amazon FBA sellers have multiple stores. If you are one of them, you need a program that allows you to create several accounts.
Most free Amazon accounting software programs have limitations for seller accounts. What this means is you can only track data for one business entity. In addition to this, the software typically only has one user.
If you are operating a medium-sized business, choose a program with provisions for multiple users and accounts. It is more convenient this way than having to sign up for multiple free programs.
Do not expect all software programs to have these. Instead, choose one that has the things that matter to you the most. For example, you may only have one business now. Therefore, it does not make sense to get software that allows multiple business accounts.
Benefits of Investing in A Good Accounting Software
Some accounting software programs are free, but the best ones are those that cost money. So, as a solopreneur, is it worth investing in software?
My answer is yes. Let me tell you why.
1. Save time and money
MS Excel or Google Sheets are manual. You need to learn formulas to make them work. On the other hand, programs like QuickBooks online are intuitive. In this regard, paid software has more time-saving features than free ones.
2. Clear financial forecast
You have to manage your numbers, but how will you do this without data? You have to make business decisions based on data, not on assumptions. Your accounting software will show you where your money is going. You’ll also see which areas are costing you money.
3. Build a more profitable business
Many people focus on the top line, but not the bottom line. In business, your net profit is as valuable as your gross revenue. Accounting software is what tells you where the financial leak is. And if you know the source of the problem, you can plug it and make your business more profitable.
4. Hassle-free sales tax compliance seasons
The sales tax season always results in stress. It happens because people pile up their tax work. With bookkeeping software, you can input your sales and expenses daily. Every piece of information is already there. There is no need to rework the data.
5. Separate personal & business expenses
The last thing you want is to confuse whose money is which. Accounting software keeps your tabs separate between personal and business. So, you can easily view how much money you should have in your business coffers.
If you are just starting and are tight on budget, you will do well with free software. However, I strongly suggest you migrate your data to bookkeeping software for Amazon if you can afford it.
Amazon Accounting Mistakes to Avoid
Accounting is a complicated process. Violating accounting rules can lead to penalties and even imprisonment. Four mistakes are common, and I will expound on them below.
1. Forgetting about tax compliance
The e-commerce sales tax has become complicated. Different states have varying taxes levied to merchants. Although Amazon automatically collects taxes, you need to account for this on your own. It helps you understand how much you earned and report it accordingly.
2. Relying on Amazon’s data only
Amazon does not fully provide you with the big picture about your business. Sure, you can see your top Amazon sellers and your sales. Amazon does not have data about your other expenses, though, such as packaging materials and gasoline. As such, you need better accounting software.
3. Expensing the sold inventory
The money you used to buy inventory is not an expense. Therefore, only categorize inventory cost as tax-deductible if you have sold the item.
4. Not listing fees
Amazon charges several types of fees from sellers like sales fees, referral fees, and variable closing fees. The problem with Amazon is that you cannot see a granular report about this. The best practice is to input this information for each sale in a separate software so you can account for it.
All these mistakes will add undue insult to injury. For example, when you think you have done your accounting correctly, you would be surprised to find out that you have a problem.
Accounting software programs for Amazon sellers take these problems into account. The designers know what the issues are. They baked in the solution to the software. Now, users do not have to go through stress during sales tax season.
The internet changed the way we do accounting. There was a time when you could hardly access software programs for taxation. And they were expensive too. Today, the best accounting software for Amazon sellers is within your reach.
Of all the ones I listed here, my recommendation is QuickBooks online or A2X accounting. Below are the features that I like:
- You could use it to send an invoice
- You could connect it to your bank account
- You can add an accountant as a user
- You can track your VAT
So which of these are you going to try for your eCommerce business? Let me know if I missed any of the great accounting software for eCommerce nerds.