Camtasia is one of the most dependable and popular video editing software programs in the market. I use it, but many people are hesitant to buy it. I understand why.
Camtasia comes at a cost. If I remember it right, I spent roughly $250 to get it. I have no regrets, but I know many people who cannot afford it.
Because of this, I sought out to find the 13 Best Camtasia Alternatives of 2023. My intent here is to create a guide for the best screen recording tools. Furthermore, it is a guide that will show you what to choose for your content creation.
What Do You Look for in a Camtasia Alternative?
There is no single answer to a question like this. At the end of the day, the things you have to look for from Camtasia alternatives depend on what you need.
For example, you may need software that can remove lines and rigs (for stunt work). Adobe is the best option for that, but Camtasia cannot do it.
For basic video editing software, there are some things I recommend, which I will explain below.
What I want is software that has a clean interface. One problem with many software creators is that they cram all controls and buttons on one screen. This design strategy is problematic.
Pick a video editing program that has a user-friendly interface. If you don’t, you will have a long learning curve. In addition, you will spend a lot of time learning how it works instead of getting something done.
Sure, some Camtasia alternatives are free, but are they worth it? You will be surprised that many free programs do not do much.
They merely allow you to cut segments of videos. You cannot resize them, and you cannot add special effects.
When choosing something over Camtasia, you must think about what value you get from the price. Just because something is cheap does not mean it can do the job that you want.
When editing videos, you want a Camtasia alternative that has animation and transition options. These options must be ready to use. As such, you no longer have to do the animation bit by bit.
The beauty of Camtasia is that it has present animations and transitions. So the only thing you have to do is to apply them and then edit their properties.
Many free and more affordable video editing programs have these. However, the options are limited. Nevertheless, it is not so bad. What matters is that you could add some panache to your videos.
Camtasia is great because it has a library of music, pre-set intro and outro templates, and many more. It also has a working relationship with Video Plasty. Video Plasty is a source of animations and GIFs. Some of them are free, and many are not.
A good Camtasia alternative must have a provision for an asset library. After all, it would be easier for you to make a video better if the template is already ready for use.
Lastly, pick a Camtasia alternative that allows you to edit various video file formats. Examples of these are AVI, MP4, WMV, FLV, and many more.
Why is this important? It is crucial so you will not have to convert these videos into an acceptable format anymore. In addition, you have to pick a video editing program that exports your videos into various formats.
These five things are fundamental to choosing Camtasia alternatives. I am not saying that the video editing alternative must have all of them.
Ask yourself what matters to your work, and these five tips will help guide you in making the right decision.
1. Filmora X
Best for: People who love Camtasia but are looking for a better price.
I can say without a doubt that Filmora X is one of the fiercest competitors of Camtasia. However, the program has advanced features at a smaller price. For example, Camtasia has no motion trailing feature, but Filmora X has it.
Filmora X works with both Windows and Mac systems. Users love the fact that they can create 4K resolution in this recorder and video editor. It also has a provision for 100 media layers or timelines.
Another thing you will love with Filmora X is that it offers thousands of style effects. In Camtasia, there are only a few. You have to upgrade to get more.
- Motion tracking – you do not have to do this manually anymore. Instead, you can do motion tracking with a few clicks, and this can make your videos more professional.
- Audio ducking – you can fade your music as a narration starts. You can either fade it out or let it play softly in the background.
- Green screen – upload videos with a green screen and let the software do the work. With a few clicks, the software will remove the green screen background and add your preferred one.
- Split-screen – you can create a single video with two screens; this feature is excellent for those who want to do comparative videos either side by side or on top of each other.
- Monthly Plan – costs $19.99, where you get all the features. This feature also eliminates the watermark in the videos that you make. It comes with tech support from a senior customer service representative.
- Annual Plan – costs $61.99 per year. You will get all the features plus a month free of the AI Portrait add-on. You will also get one month of access to their assets.
- Perpetual Plan – costs $89.99 as a one-time payment. You will get everything from the previous two plans. In addition, you can access Filmora X for life plus an unlimited asset download.
Filmora X is free to download. The free trial version is unlimited, but all your videos will have a watermark.
Best for: People looking for a presentation video editor with screen recording features.
Active Presenter 8 is the product of Atomi systems. It works on both Windows and Mac. Like Camtasia, it is pricey, but it does offer some features that Camtasia does not have, like HTML 5 export.
The system has a screen recorder and video editing features. It also has quizzes, but you can only get this feature in the high-tier plan.
Unlike Camtasia and other common Camtasia alternatives, Active Presenter 8 leans heavily into e-learning. Essentially, you are creating a PowerPoint presentation, but you are beefing it up with interactions.
What people love about Active Presenter 8 is the HTML 5 conversion. What this means is that the video you make will become web content. This conversion is what allows the video to be interactive. Users can click on buttons and answer questions right on the video.
- Responsive design – you can create a mobile-ready presentation.
- Quizzes – create quizzes and buttons that the audience can click. This Camtasia alternative offers 11 types of quizzes.
- Text animations – add texts in areas of the video. You can edit the font, size and even animate how they appear.
- Multiple timelines – you can create several timelines in a single slide. As such, you can do several animations on the same object.
- Active Presenter Standard – costs $199 per license; you will get many features but not the HTML 5 export. It does, however, include advanced features like the removal of the green screen, PowerPoint, and rich annotations.
- Active Presenter Pro – costs $399 per license. This plan gives you access to HTML 5, interactivity in the videos, branching, interactive buttons, and quizzes.
Active Presenter is available in a free version. You can use the video editor and all its features, but your exported files have a watermark.
Best for: People who record their screens to make tutorials.
Screencast-O-Matic is a screen recording software. It does have a video editor, so it is an excellent Camtasia alternative. It works on both Mac and PC.
I recommend this best screen recorder for educators who need a tool that is easy to use. With this tool, you can easily create explainer videos.
Surprisingly, the tool is not something that you need to download and install. Instead, all you have to do is to go to a link, and you can do your work from there.
The downside, however, is that you cannot use it if you have no internet access. It does have a downloadable free version and installer. However, it will launch the online version if you use it.
- Screen recording – record your computer monitor and audio; this feature is ideal for people creating tutorials.
- Video editing – the software editor allows you to add overlays, shapes, text annotations, and images.
- Green screen – record your video with a green screen background. Then, remove it from the tool and replace it with a new one.
- Stock library – you can choose from thousands of images and images and use them for free. You no longer have to buy assets from a different source.
- Deluxe – costs $1.65 per month, billed annually. This plan gives you access to important features like green screen removal, screen recording and computer audio recording, and captions.
- Premiere – costs $4 per month; this plan gives you access to call-to-action buttons, 100GB of bandwidth, and a brand-free website. It also has custom video and player controls.
The video editing software tool is offered for free, but there is a watermark in the videos you export.
Best for: People who are looking for a professional tool.
Adobe Premiere Pro is without a doubt one of the best alternatives to Camtasia. It is a professional tool that has everything that you need. It is one of those programs where you cannot go wrong.
The thing with Adobe is that it is now a software-as-a-service product. You can no longer buy it and own it for the rest of your life. All plans are based on a subscription.
This screen recorder tool and video editor works on both PC and Mac.
Despite this, Adobe Premiere Pro is what you need if you are a professional. It is teeming with features that you can use to make movie-quality videos. From screen recording to audio and captions, this Camtasia alternative has it all.
It has an excellent user interface, and there are dozens of tutorials that you can watch to learn how to use the system.
- Speech to text – you can caption videos without typing each word manually. The speech-to-text feature will do that for you. You can also edit the transcript and make them bigger, smaller, or correct the spelling.
- Caption styling – you can now stylize the captions and add multiple shadows. You can also enhance the background and choose from 28 types of alphabets.
- Color labels – if there is a color you want, which you mixed, you can label it and save it for later use. This feature makes it easier to standardize your color templates.
- Footage import – Adobe recognizes all types of files. So you can import from your DSLR, GoPro, and other devices like mobile phones.
- Effects – there are so many transitions, animation, and effects that you can choose from. In addition, there are keyframes, motion effects, and even shaping tools.
- Annual, Paid Monthly – costs $27.62 per month, but this is paid one-time.
- Annual, Single Payment – costs $315.61 a year, also charged one-time.
- Monthly Payment – this plan is charged monthly at $41.43.
All plans give you access to the same software. These are:
- 100 GB of cloud storage
- Adobe Portfolio
- Adobe Fonts
- Adobe Spark
Adobe Premiere Pro has a free trial that lasts up to 7 days.
Best for: Educators who need a screen capture tool
Snagit is a software program that comes from the same company that made Camtasia. However, it is essentially a screen recorder tool that comes with a free trial. It is compatible with Windows and Mac.
Snagit is an excellent tool for those who are making instructional videos. It is a reliable and efficient application, but it is not a video editor. However, I like that it has a GIF maker, and you can export your recording to the cloud.
Like other recording tools, it can record your screen, computer audio, and microphone audio. You can also trim video clips, but you cannot animate and edit videos as you could with Camtasia.
- All-in-one Capture – capture all the action that is happening on your screen. You also have the option to choose a specific region or window to capture.
- Scrolling Screen Capture – this feature makes it possible to get a vertical or horizontal scroll. So if you are showing a desktop or website with infinite scroll, the screen recorder can do it for you. This feature is excellent for those who want to record long chat messages.
- Grab Text – you can easily extract a message from a screenshot and paste it into a new document. You can edit the text, and you do not have to retype it.
- Individual – costs $49 as a one-time fee; this pays for one license only.
- Business – the same price as the Individual plan, but you can get a site license. There is also a volume discount pricing.
- Education – costs $29.99 per user; volume discount pricing is also available.
- Government and Non-Profit – costs $42.99 per license. You get discounted prices as you buy more licenses.
You can download Snagit in its free version. The free trial lasts for 15 days.
6. OBS Studio
Best for: People who broadcast and do live streaming.
OBS is free software that you can use for live streaming and screen recording. However, I have to say that it is not a video editor. Sure, it has video editing capabilities, but not as advanced as Camtasia or the others I recommend here.
With OBS, you can work on multiple sources of videos and sounds. You can also mix them while you are streaming. Like other screen recording software programs, you can incorporate existing videos and record your webcam and microphone.
The beauty of OBS is that you can choose which part of your desktop to record. So, for example, if you only want to record a browser, it will not show the content of your desktop.
OBS is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems.
What I can say is that OBS is great for advanced users. However, those who have no experience in streaming and recording must look for another free tool, which I will discuss in this article.
- Window Capture – this feature allows you to do screen sharing in real-time. It is an essential feature for people who stream their games or those doing a webinar.
- Add Images and Texts – you can add texts and images while you are streaming live. All you have to do is to click on a button and then choose the resource you want. You can also toggle the opacity if you wish.
- Multiple sources – you can create scenes in your stream and put them on the same screen. It makes your presentation better as weather forecasters do.
OBS Studio is an open-source software program that is 100% free. You can download it now and test it to see if it fits your recording needs.
Best for: marketers, YouTube vloggers, and trainers.
I can say that as far as stock resources a.re concerned, ScreenFlow does a fantastic and better job than other Camtasia alternatives. It has more than 500,000 images, videos, and music tracks that you can choose from.
ScreenFlow is essentially a screen recorder, which presenters can use to record their tutorial videos. The software program also has editing features, but it is not as advanced as Camtasia.
The problem is this: it only works on Mac. So if you are using Windows or Linux, you have to look for another option.
What I like about ScreenFlow is that it records in high quality. You can also preview a clip and move it anywhere in the timeline. Another thing you will love is that you can change your background before you do your screen recording.
- Screen capture – record your screen, audio, and microphone even with the free version
- Editing – has an interface that is easy to use.
- Media library – the company has thousands of free images and stock videos. You can use them commercially and without royalty. They have stock videos for lower thirds, and they also offer free music tracks.
- Basic – costs a one-time fee of $149; you will get the basic features like screen capture, editing features, and export.
- Super Pak – costs $209; you will get everything in the Basic, plus access to the stock media library. In addition, the company offers more than half a million stock images.
- Super Pak + Premium Support – costs $239; you will get phone support and remote access service.
Get ScreenFlow for free with its free version. You can export videos, but they will have a watermark, and you cannot save a project file.
Da Vinci Resolve is one of the most powerful video editing software programs in the world. It can rival Adobe.
It touts itself as the world’s only solution to a multitude of video editing needs. Here, you can do the following things:
- Editing features
- Color correction
- Visual effects
- Motion graphics
The interface is easy to use, and many who have used it will testify to how it is one of the best alternatives to Camtasia. It supports Mac and Windows, but it has a special version for M1 users.
The video editing software comes from a company called Black Magic. They not only produce editing software programs like this, but they also sell physical items like cameras and other paraphernalia for video making.
I like this product because it is the only one that combines video editing, motion graphics, audio editing, and colour-coding in one tool. Therefore, it is the ultimate alternative to Camtasia, provided that you are willing to shell out some money.
Da Vinci Resolve is not for ordinary vloggers. It is for professionals looking for tools that will allow them to transform videos into something worthy of Hollywood.
Also, it is up to you to choose which features you want. If you are looking for advanced ones like Neural Engine, HDR Grading, or RX filters, you can have it all, for a price, of course.
- Basic Editing – it has essential editing tools that you typically find in other video editing software programs. In addition, it has features like Smart Inset, Ripple and Append—most of which are also in Camtasia.
- Striking Transitions – unlike Camtasia, this one offers a wide variety by which you can transition your video from one to another. The transitions are also seamless. You can do zoom, pan, and even swoop-to actions.
- Motion Tracking – one thing that will blow you away is its motion tracking capability. You can even track multiple images or items from the video. It even has camera tracking and planar tracking.
- Color Editing – you can edit the color of your video to make it more vivid and alive. Usually, you will need different software for this, but this one already has it all.
There is no single price for DaVinci Resolve. It also has no trial version. As a premier video editing tool, you will pay according to the feature that you want. You can check the download information here and fill out the details. One of their support specialists will be in contact with you.
In this section, I want to show some best Camtasia alternatives that are free. Try them now and check out if they meet your video editor requirements, as these companies can start charging for their services soon.
Blender is open-source animation software. Here, you can do 3D films, simulation, rendering, and so much more. It does have motion tracking, rigging, and modelling.
- Live preview
- Audio mixing and syncing
- Control the speed of the video
- Add layers and transitions
- Create keyframes
Blender is an advanced tool and not just one of the ordinary, run-of-the-mill Camtasia alternatives. It also has video editing capabilities. You can cut your source material, add audio, and also do screen recording.
At first, it isn’t easy to use, but there are many free tutorials found online. So start from the basics, such as understanding the interface, and move on from there.
VSDC is a video editor where you can apply audio effects. On top of this, you can enjoy using some cool features like sound normalization, echo addition, and even volume correction.
- Non-linear video editor – add videos anywhere on the timeline, and the scenes will break themselves apart. Add shapes and change their positions.
- Audio and visual effects – add audio and cut them where you want; edit the audio volume and fade effects. You can also add various shapes and change their colors and sizes.
- Blenders – create stunning videos that are worthy of Instagram. There are many color and background blending options, and you can adjust their parameters to your liking.
- Masking – you can create different shapes to hide unwanted areas in your video. If you want, you can also create blurs to protect sensitive information.
VSDC also offers motion tracking, an excellent tool for videos where you want to follow elements and add captions or icons. It is a feature that is not common in many Camtasia alternatives. On top of these features, you can easily export your files to social media channels.
OpenShot is easy to use. What I like about the free screen recorder is that it is powerful despite being free. While it is not as powerful as Blender, this video editing software has enough features that you can use for your basic video editing needs.
- Trim and Slice – cut your videos where needed, then stitch the remaining parts to make the editing seamless.
- Video Effects – the tool has several preset modes that you can use. For example, you can remove backgrounds, invert the colors, and adjust the brightness of your video.
- Slow-motion and time effects – if you want to slow down your clip, you can do it. You also have the option to do a timelapse.
- Easy management – the editor allows you to drag and drop images in areas where you need them. You can do the same for audio and video files.
One thing you will love about OpenShot is that it allows you to add layers. If you want, you can also add watermarks to your videos. You can also change the background and also select from the library of free audio tracks.
VideoPad Video Editor is an intuitive software that offers more than 50 video effects. While it is free, it does not provide a screen recorder. However, it has many features that allow you to do basic video editing for your social media and YouTube needs.
- Visual effects and transitions – you have more than 50 options here. It is more than what Camtasia offers. If you ask me, this is a steal. You can make your videos look more professional.
- Video format – import your video file into more than 60 types of formats. It essentially supports all kinds of formats for different platforms.
- Burn – if you want, you can burn the video into a disc. It also has a feature where you can do direct upload online.
- 3D and 360 Video Editing – you can add files from external drives and then edit them in 3D mode.
Like other video editing software programs, VideoPad Video Editor has an audio system. You can drag audio and place it where it belongs. You also have the option to add soundtracks.
Movavi Fastreel is an online video editing software. What it means is that you do not have to download and install it on your device. With this video editor, you can add files and edit from our browser.
- Fast – you do not have to run the video editor with dependencies on your computer memory. Instead, you can edit your videos with a few clicks.
- Transitions – there is a wide selection of preset transitions to make your videos more professional. In addition, you do not have to do the transition manually.
- Adjust image duration – if the video merely shows an image, you can drag it to the desired length instead of copying and pasting it again and again.
If you want some advanced features, you need to get the upgraded version. In this case, you need to install the video editing software program. The installers are different between Windows and Mac.
Recording your screen is a great way to teach people. You can also use it to demonstrate how to use a computer program or software. I have some tips to make your screen recording look professional.
To make a great screen recording, you have to plan your script. It is not a good idea to demonstrate how to use an application if you do not have a script. What will happen is you will fumble for words, and your presentation will be disorganized.
Now, you do not need to write an entire script if you do not want to. However, I suggest you at least write your points on a piece of paper—like a cue card. Practice what you want to say before you do the recording.
Screen recorders give you the option to record the audio of the computer. You need to decide whether or not this sound is essential to your presentation.
For example, those who are recording games must also record the audio. It does not make sense to present your gameplay without the game sound. However, those educating via a PowerPoint presentation do not have to record the computer audio.
You have to make this decision before you record. There is no going back if you think you made a mistake. If you did not record the audio, you would have to repeat the entire process.
On the safe side, I recommend that you record it. Then, if you ever change your mind, you can separate the computer’s audio from the microphone’s audio and then delete it. Many recorder and video editing tools have this feature.
The best size is 1080 x 1920. Pretty much, this is the standard today. If your screen recording has 4K quality, use it.
One mistake that many people make is they rely on the default screen size of their screen recorders. As a result, they get a square video. Sometimes, they have a portrait video as if it was taken via a mobile device.
Take the time to research how to change the video dimensions with your recording tool. If you can choose from the presets, do it, or create your own.
Paid and free screen recorder tools take a lot of memory. The worst thing that can happen is for your computer to crash due to a lack of memory. To avoid this, close all applications that do not matter in your presentation.
Apps also produce clutter that your audience can see. As a result, your video will be confusing, and it does not add value to your presentation. If you need to keep some apps open, make sure you take the time to edit them out or blur them in your final video output.
As you present, you will undoubtedly have unnecessary actions, like opening browsers for your reference, slow load speeds, and many more.
Edit these things out to guarantee a smooth transition. Make use of animated transitions from Camtasia or your video editor if you have them.
Take these tips seriously, as I learned them the hard way. Unfortunately, it took me some months and many failures to know these things. As a result, I had to repeat recording much of my content.
What is the best alternative to Camtasia?
Best Free Camtasia alternative?
The best that I can recommend, which is 100% free, is Blender. It is not only a screen recorder and video editor, but it is also an animation software. With this software, you can make movies, animations, and a whole lot more.
How to remove watermark from recorded videos
If you created a video in the free Camtasia software, it would have a watermark. You must use another video editing software to remove it. An example is the Filmora Video Editor.
Among the best Camtasia alternatives of 2023, I strongly recommend Filmora X. It has as much power as Camtasia. It is best for those who want a powerful but affordable video editing suite. It can do screen recording, editing, basic animation and transition, and it offers its service for significantly less than Camtasia.
How to Convert Camtasia to MP4
There is no need to convert a Camtasia video to MP4. All you have to do is click on Share > Local File > custom Production Settings > MP4 Smart Player, then proceed to the rest of the prompts.
Camtasia will automatically save the file as MP4. If you already have a file, like SVI, just drag that inside the Camtasia software and then “share” or save it as MP4.
Can I get Camtasia for free?
Yes, you can. Camtasia offers a free trial that lasts 30 days. However, all the videos you produced with the free version have a watermark.
After 30 days, the system will ask you for a license or your login credentials. You can download the videos, but you need to find a way to remove the watermark.
Is Camtasia the best video editing software?
No, Camtasia is not the best video editing software. However, it is one of the best options, especially for those who need semi-professional work. It is not as good as Adobe Effects or other video editing software from Adobe.
Is Bandicam better than Camtasia?
No, Bandicam is not a better option than Camtasia. Bandicam does not offer video transitions, but Camtasia does. While Bandicam allows you to record audio, it does not have automatic audio levelling. Bandicam only works in Windows, but Camtasia works in Mac too.
The best free alternative to Camtasia is Blender. It has everything you need to do animations, video editing, and screen recording. It is best for people who need more than just basic video editing but also animation tools.
This free screen recorder works with both Mac and PC. However, it is a tad difficult to use, and it can be confusing to beginners.
Among the best Camtasia alternatives of 2022, I strongly recommend Filmora X. It has as much power as Camtasia. It is best for those who want a powerful but affordable video editing suite. It can do screen recording, editing, basic animation and transition, and it offers its service for significantly less than Camtasia.