Are you a TikTok video content creator or a home-based movie enthusiast?
Editing videos can be a pastime or commercial activity, but it requires the right conversion tools.
There are many video download and editing tools online. Finding one compatible with your device or operating system can be overwhelming.
You are here because you seek software that converts your videos efficiently. Perhaps you are also on a tight budget.
I have narrowed it down to the 7 best free video converter software. You will find the video converters in this review most useful, with loads of useful features at your fingertips.
Let’s get down to business, shall we?
- Hand Brake
- DivX Converter
- Any Video Converter
- Freemake Video Converter
- Free HD Converter
- Gihosoft Free Video Converter
- AVS Video Converter
Best for converting videos from any format to WebM, MKV, and MP4.
HandBrake is a practical video converter that boasts fast file processing.
Mac users are more familiar with it compared to those on the Windows platform. Nonetheless, the video converter works perfectly on both operating systems.
It supports video formats such as MPEG-4, MPEG-3, VP8/9, H.264, and H.265. Third-party libraries, including LIBVPX, FFmpeg, and X265, are instrumental in this tool’s efficiency.
Upon download, the software creates a profile on your device. The profile aligns with your operating system’s requirements.
Yet, you can tweak the settings as much as you want. For instance, you can adjust the dimensions or crop your video files for a more appealing look.
HandBrake runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac operating systems.
- It lets you review videos before converting them.
- The application also supports video filters.
- It supports batch conversion.
- It stores video clips in MP3 format.
- HandBrake rips DVDs, crops, and sclaes videos.
- Input formats: The tool supports M4V, FLV, AVI, MOV, DVD, XVID, and WMV formats.
- Output formats: It supports MKV and MP4 formats.
- It can add subtitles and chapter markers to your videos.
- It is easy to use.
- It has an excellent format and interface.
- The software supports many video files as long as they’re compatible with your device.
- There is minimal loss of quality during conversion from higher to lower bitrate.
- It is not a beginner-friendly tool.
HandBrake is a free resource.
Use this link to download the HandBrake video converter.
Best for individuals seeking a reliable converter on a tight budget.
DivX Converter impressed me with its fast conversion speeds and high-quality output.
Even more fulfilling are its format options. It can download videos in MKV, MP3, MP4, and MOV formats.
That way, you are confident that you can replay content on game consoles, smartphones, tablets, or TV.
The tool is straightforward and does not pose a learning curve challenge.
Additionally, you can convert videos into MPEG2 formats after installation but only for 15 days.
If you seek to create 4K videos, you must enable a plug-in option while setting up the software.
Similarly, DivX may attempt to install other programs. You can stop this action by deselecting the provided options.
Another thing is that you can upscale to the Pro version once you get acquainted with how the software works.
DivX Converter supports Mac and Windows operating systems.
- It has a built-in video player.
- The converter alters resolution, file size, and bit rate, among other advanced options.
- Task queueing and scheduling are also possible with this tool.
- The app also lets you undertake batch conversion.
- It allows adding of subtitles.
- The software converts videos to MP4, MKV, DivX, and numerous other formats.
- It integrates with cloud apps like Dropbox and Google Drive.
- It has one of the cheapest paid options.
- It offers decent video conversion speeds.
- The software supports cloud applications.
The free version is disruptive, with upsells and ads popping up now and then.
It is a free resource with different optional features that you can purchase. There is a Pro version that costs $19.99.
Here’s the link for activating the software on your browser.
Best for home video editing projects done by freelancers.
Any Video Converter supports over 100 video conversion formats and is ideal for commercial and personal projects.
It also boasts a high quality and the ability to burn videos. The online tool can convert files you have saved on your PC.
Besides, the software downloads videos from streaming sites and keeps them in files of the same quality.
AVC (the video converter tool’s acronym) runs a few ads during software installation. There are no more ads afterward.
Another thing, you may receive a request for additional software installation. I am confident you can hack it since the task only entails clicking a few buttons.
Video conversions by this tool are not necessarily the fastest, but the speed is good.
You will also love the quality of files it generates as output.
AVC supports the following video formats: AVI, MOV, MKV, MP3, MP4, and many more.
You need not worry about the learning curve, as AVC is a straightforward online tool. Of course, you will spend a few hours of familiarization.
You are in good hands if you intend to use the software on Windows or Mac.
- Files: It converts online and offline videos, including those from YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, and Metacafe.
- Effects and filters: The software offers a stock of video editing options such as cropping, rotating, and trimming.
- Burning videos: The tool can burn videos to Blue Ray Disc.
- Profiles: You will find ready-made profiles to suit your devices and numerous editing options.
- It offers high-quality video output.
- It can convert videos in 4K resolution.
- The software supports over 100 video streaming sites.
- The tool is a bit slow.
- It prompts the installation of additional software when downloading the free version.
A free download is available, or you can upgrade to the Ultimate version for $49.95.
Download the free video editor here.
Best for processing short-length videos.
FreeMake Video Converter lets you pull online videos from YouTube, Dailymotion, and other video streaming sites.
It offers you a decent choice of over 500 conversion formats. Besides, it supports most mobile devices.
There is plenty you can do using this video downloader, including creating photo slideshows and burning DVDs.
A browser that prompts you to register on the site pops up during installation. Registration is not a must, and you can skip it.
However, the software adds its logo at every start and end of your videos.
On the other hand, the free version retains text on your screen that you might find cumbersome.
Nonetheless, this video editor supports MOV, MP3, MP4, MKV, and AVI formats.
Plus, it has numerous editing options, and it offers you preset profiles.
You will also appreciate the video output, which has excellent quality.
One thing I noticed about FreeMake is that it converts videos fast. Speed is an important pre-requisite when choosing video converter tools.
However, FreeMake only works with Windows operating system.
- Editing tools: It offers video trimming and allows adding subtitles, among other built-in tools.
- Visible icons: The app places visual video adding icons at the top and output selection icons at the bottom of the screen.
- Supports online and offline videos: You can convert files directly from your hard drive or download them from streaming sites such as YouTube.
- Excellent video output.
- It has a simple user interface.
- It lets you burn DVDs.
- It offers a great pre-customized profile collection.
- The paid plan has faster conversions.
- The free version has glitches.
- Upgrading to a premium version is a complex process.
- The free access leaves watermarks after converting videos.
FreeMake is a free video conversion software.
Click on this link to download the free video converter.
Best for beginners or pros seeking a simple all-in-one editing tool.
Free HD Video Converter Factory allows you to convert videos into over 500 formats. Examples include MP3, MP4, AVI, and DVD, but you will discover many more once you start using the tool.
Even so, the software has a guide you can quickly refer to.
Working with the tool is easy and fun as you only need to drop a video on its interface. Once there, select the desired format and click the Run button.
On the other hand, you can customize the output if you have the time.
More impressive effects, such as cropping and cutting, ensure that your video emerges as best as you want.
I was also impressed with the tool’s ability to remove playback errors and change a video’s frame rate, file, and resolution.
The software is only available on Windows operating software.
- Drag and drop: This feature lets you drop a file on the interface, and the software does the rest.
- Profiles: It offers pre-set profiles that you can select for an output that matches with your playback device
- Intuitive: It has an intuitive design that lets you add special effects, crop, and edit videos to your satisfaction.
- The tool is simple to use as its design favors beginners.
- It offers you a plethora of video editing tools.
- You have numerous output formats and are spoilt for choice.
- It has a user guide that gets you started.
- The free version does not support batch conversions.
- It does not convert 1080p videos.
It is a free tool with a pro version if you want to upgrade later.
Go here and access the video converter.
Best for users with medium-sized video conversion projects.
Gihosoft Free Video Converter is free software with a notable ability to burn DVDs. This aspect alone makes it a useful accomplice for people that love creating home DVDs.
It supports popular file formats, such as MP4, WBM, and 3GP.
You can download videos from over 100 sites using this app. Examples include Vimeo, YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook.
You will also appreciate that it offers preset profiles for iPhones, iPads, Apple TV, PS4, and Xbox 360, among other popular devices.
- It has a captioning aspect for adding subtitles to your videos.
- The software saves videos in 8K, 4K, and 1080p file formats.
- It supports the seamless transfer of videos to your mobile devices.
- The app downloads content from multiple video streaming sites.
- It boasts advanced editing features for cropping, rotating, and trimming video clips.
- Gihosoft Free Video Converter supports Mac and Windows operating systems.
- It is an easy-to-use application.
- The app converts videos fast and retain their high quality.
- The free version only offers intermediate features.
You can download and start using the free resource.
However, it has a Pro Version that opens up more features.
Here is a summary of its pricing plans:
- Free Video Converter: No license
- Personal Edition: $39.95 for 1 PC or Mac
- Family Edition: $59.95 or 5 PC or Mac
Visit this link and download the free video converter on your device.
Best for simple video editing projects.
AVS Video Converter is a powerful app for fast conversion of 4K UHD and HD videos.
I loved its capacity to convert bulk media files. You can use it for batch conversion too.
It also provides preset profiles that make your task easy and time-saving.
Even more satisfying, the software supports all file formats. Additionally, if you are a stickler for quality, you will be in a safe zone here.
The tool offers DCI 4K, HD, and full HD, which are crisp quality options.
Any rookie can learn to use this software within a short time. Its preset optimization profiles help tailor your conversions for mobile devices, TVs, and gaming systems.
The Disc Creator in the tool does a fantastic job.
Also, the editing section enables you to navigate in and out of editing features with ease.
Besides, it offers you various options to build simple and complex projects.
The app is Windows-only software.
- It has 17 video formats.
- The app offers 90+ preprogrammed profiles.
- It has a drag-and-drop tool that helps simplify your editing tasks.
- The software can mix, rotate, trim, and merge videos.
- It offers high audio quality on converted files.
- It is easy to install.
- It has a clean dashboard.
- It experiences slow downloads when you have voluminous work.
It is a free download and usage software with the subscription option for $39/Year.
Use this link to download the software on your device’s browser.
Video converter software is an application that converts files from one video format to another. These apps can also change a video file into an audio format.
Video conversion applications work in two ways.
In the first approach, the tools change a file’s format without altering other aspects. Secondly, video converters compress videos through transcoding.
Compressing a file reduces its size and lets users play its content on a media player.
MP4 (MPEG-4 Part 14) is a universal file conversion format that is also the most compatible. Moreover, the format compresses videos for easy storage and transfer.
As a container file, MP4 stores video, audio files, and subtitles. At the same time, MP4 supports adding metadata that helps categorize videos.
MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3) is another widely used format, but unlike MP4, it is an audio format. It stores audio data in a digital format using lossy compression.
In all, there are many file formats. I have chosen these two owing to their popularity.
In sum, video converters turn one video signal into another type. They have fast processing speeds and support diverse output formats.
This review’s best video converter apps are perfect examples of video converter software.
1. What’s the fastest Video Converter?
I will narrow it down to the best video converter software in this review.
I found out that DivX Video Converter leads the pack. It is even faster on the Pro Version, but you can stay on the free version forever.
Freemake Video Converter also delivers quite well on speed on both the free and paid versions. It has 17 output formats and plenty of editing options.
2. Can I use a video converter to convert it to MP3?
Yes, you can do so with all the software in my review.
Compressing a video file to MP3 requires you to drag the media to the converter’s interface. Alternatively, you can do it manually through the add video option.
Choose the format after that, in our case, MP3.
Also, select a folder to save the file after a conversion, and click on the convert button.
3. What’s the best video converter for HD and 4K?
HandBrake converts 4K videos on Linux, Mac, and Windows. It is my best choice for this category among the software I have reviewed.
Among HandBrake’s abilities include trimming video files and batch conversions.
It retains your video’s original quality and saves you time. Yet, if you are a beginner, you’ll need to learn how to use the software.
Even so, HandBrake wins as it is completely free.
4. What is the best video converter for Mac?
DivX Video Converter is the best video tool for Mac, thanks to its intuitive video conversion ability.
Its drag-and-drop feature works seamlessly to optimize video files for Apple devices. Besides, it supports MKV, MP4, AVI, and DivX output formats.
The free version has a DivX Video Player.
However, you must upgrade to the pro version to access all features.
5. What’s the difference between MP4 and MOV Video Files and Audio Files?
MP4 is an international standard for the video file format. On the other hand, MOV is an Apple file format.
MP4 files are smaller and more compressed, while MOV files are larger with higher quality.
You can only edit MOV files on a Mac.
On the contrary, you can work on MP4 files from any operating system, be it Linux, Windows, or Mac.
There you are! These are the 7 best free video converters in 2023.
If you ask me which one is best, I recommend HandBrake Video Converter.
It is fully free and comes with incredible functions. The software will convert your videos into numerous file output formats. Plus, it supports Windows, Linux, and Mac operating systems.
When choosing a video converter, it would be best to keep your unique needs in mind.
Perhaps you want a free tool that offers unlimited downloads and conversions with numerous editing options.
Alternatively, you could seek versatile software with more capability than free versions.
As you ponder over these, here are a few guidelines to help you:
- Features: Check that your choice app has the parts you need for your daily video conversion work.
- Output Formats: How many layouts do the tool support?
- Usability: As a beginner, it would be best if you worked with simple tools and later upgraded on the go.
- Speed: You will need fast video conversion software if you work on tight deadlines.
Whether you are on Mac or Windows, I am certain you will find the software in this review sufficient.
In conclusion, here is a summary of the 7 best free video converter software in 2023.
- HandBrake – Best for converting videos from any format to WebM, MKV, and MP4.
- DivX Converter – Best for individuals seeking a reliable converter on a tight budget.
- Any Video Converter – Best for home video editing projects done by freelancers.
- FreeMake Video Converter – Best for processing short-length videos.
- Free HD Video Converter Factory – Best for beginners or pros seeking a simple all-in-one editing tool.
- Gihosfot Free Video Converter – Best for users with medium-sized video conversion projects.
- AVS Video Converter – Best for simple video editing projects.
- YouTube to MP3 Converters
- YouTube to MP4 Converters
- YouTube to WAV Converter
- Chrome Video Downloader
- Instagram Video Downloader
- TikTok Video Downloaders
- YouTube Video Downloader
- Facebook Video Downloader
- Twitter Video Downloader
- Instagram Story Viewer Apps
- Download TikTok Videos
- Download YouTube Videos
- YouTube Subtitle Downloaders
- YouTube Playlist Downloaders
- MOV to MP4 Converters
- AVI to MP4 Converters