Products evolve, and you add more as your business grows. The problem that you will have one day is data management in relation to your products.
Normally your product information lives in different spreadsheets, systems, and even folders. How would you keep track of everything let alone update the information?
The last thing that you want is to have your product data all over the place. The good news is that there is a software program you can use to get rid of this product data chaos—a product information management software program.
Once you have selected an eCommerce platform, the next step is to choose a PIM software program. You need it so you can manage your product data in one place.
Today, I will show you the best PIM solution programs out in the market. I have seen many of these in action, and I made my selection based on ease of use, scalability, and value for money.
In the end, I am hoping that I helped you make a choice. Then, you can use the PIM solution on the best websites and marketplaces to sell.
A product information management software program is one that gathers all your product information in one place. From here, you can use the data to deploy your products to different sales channels.
Product data management is a way to organize your product data. For example, you have a spreadsheet about t-shirts. There are blue and red, and orange variants. Then you have sizes.
Today, we no longer use spreadsheets for advanced data management. Instead, we use product information management PIM software.
In addition to one repository of information, you can use it to automatically release your products on other sites, such as Amazon, Shopify, etc.
Here are the top choices for PIM software programs:
1. Akeneo – Best PIM software for small and medium businesses.
2. Informatica – Best PIM software for people who need product data catalog, integration, and data quality management.
3. Feedonomics – Best for companies that need both digital asset management and master data management PIM software programs.
4. Pimcore – Best PIM system for businesses looking for software solutions built on the PHP platform.
5. Syndigo – Best for businesses looking for data management and content syndication.
6. Productsup– Best for businesses that need social media management and product syndication from an information management PIM software program.
7. inRiver – Best for online retailers whose main objective is to use PIM solutions for increased sales.
Best PIM software for small and medium businesses.
Pricing: One free plan, two paid ones.
Unique Feature: The Akeneo product information management software program is open source.
Akeneo offers PIM software solutions that allow you to have a centralized system and streamline product data feeds.
The beauty of this tool is that it works on any business model. In addition, the information management software program allows you to skip the hassles of working with many tools.
With this PIM tool, time-to-market gets faster, and you have a central catalog of all your products. You can also ensure that your product data are consistent in multiple channels.
- Integrations – for better customer experience, Akeneo decided to have a cloud-first mindset. Connecting this PIM solution with new and existing systems that your company is already using is easy. You can use it in eCommerce, print, and other business ecosystems.
- Syndication – you can take advantage of the omnichannel feature of this information management software. You can sell more products to more customers in different places at the same time. You can even distribute your media files or products to websites you do not own.
- eCommerce Replatforming – with this software program, you can change your eCommerce product strategy. It is a perfect solution for retailers, manufacturers, and even distributors. What you can do is get your products online faster so you can reach more consumers.
- Digital Transformation – the software program is open source, which means that many changes are going to happen in the future.
- Onboarder – this feature allows you to scale your business. With this feature, you can collect product information from your suppliers. From here, your employees can make decisions on where to get products.
Akeneo is not a run-of-the-mill PIM software program. With it, you can expect high levels of data quality. The system is ready for data modeling, which will come from your input of raw product data.
Perhaps the best feature I like is that they added a feature allowing even manufacturing companies to use the system. As such, it is not just a PIM software program anymore.
With Akeneo, you can standardize many of your processes, including your onboarding of supplier information, not just your product data inputs.
- Easy to use
- It has a product information management PIM system
- You can manage catalogs and import product data
- You can choose between on-premises deployment or SaaS
- Community Edition – free to use, but you only get the basic functions plus the digital asset management system.
- Growth Edition – starts at $25,000 per year; you get a hosted PIM software solution plus early access to the latest upgrades.
- Enterprise Edition – you must call them for a quote. This plan is for big businesses that need a customized information management PIM software program.
You can download the free Community Edition now and test it. From here, you can upgrade later once your business has grown really big.
Best PIM software for people who need product data catalog, integration, and data quality management.
Pricing: The price for this PIM software solution is only available according to what your business needs.
Unique Feature: This information management PIM software works not only for eCommerce but also for other industries like Education, Energy, Utilities, Government, etc.
Informatica is a professional-grade product information management PIM program. It offers fast data integration, and you have the option to manage product master data in the cloud or on-premises.
What Informatica is good at is product launching. With its product information management PIM, you can acquire and manage product information. Later on, you can publish the products in multiple sales channels.
- 360-Degree Views of the Business – this involves data management for product data. With it, you will have one central view not only of your product information but also of customer data. In addition, you will get intelligent insights so you can drive a better customer experience.
- Analytics and Insights – apart from importing data, you can also view reports you can trust. This information management PIM software provides a holistic approach to analysis. You can use it for business operations and regulatory compliance.
- Integration and Automation – the connectivity feature of this product information management PIM is out-of-the-box. It requires no coding skills. You can also use it to reduce errors, manage customer experience, and monitor existing integrations. You can even connect cloud-based apps with on-premises hardware.
- Cloud Analytics – the company offers a cloud data warehouse, management, and Cloud Lakehouse. With a master data management process, you can modernize your analytics and reduce congestion. With this feature, you can take advantage of enterprise-grade data integration, data quality, and other things relevant to flexible data modeling.
- Data Science Acceleration – you need accelerated methods for product data management so you can better manage customer experience. Informatica has this, and you can set it up in such a way that you can feed sufficient data to the software for it to analyze.
Informatica is one of the PIM software vendors out there, but their primary target market comprises of big businesses. I believe that the software is better for giant companies like insurance companies, but it would be too costly if a medium business took it.
Overall, Informatica has a complete suite of PIM software solutions. However, I have heard some people saying that the price of this information management PIM software is higher than what they are earning!
Nevertheless, I still encourage you to take a look at what it can do. You will never know if this is the best PIM software that you have been looking for all along.
- Works in the cloud
- Has data democratization
- The company consistently innovates
- The information management software has a free trial
- You only pay for what you need
You can try Informatica for free. There is no fixed price for this product information management software. You can only get a quote after you have discussed what you need with them.
Best for companies that need both digital asset management and master data management PIM software programs.
Pricing: Available only upon request.
Unique Feature: The PIM tools in the software can be used in marketing.
Feedonomics is not just a product information management PIM software, but also one that you can use for advertising and in various marketplaces.
It does have an advertising platform where you can syndicate your data. What it does is you can advertise in hundreds of ad networks simultaneously.
Here are the things it can do:
- Catalog listing
- Add products in different sales channels
- Consolidate product data
- Manage thousands of feeds in one dashboard
What makes Feedonomics a great tool is that it supports Google, Walmart, Amazon, eBay, and many other channels. It also supports eCommerce platforms such as Magento, Shopify, Oracle NetSuite, and BigCommerce.
- Advertising Features – you can streamline your product feed for so many sites. This feature also allows you to optimize your product listing and data management in social media, affiliate channels, and so much more.
- Marketplace Features – this set of features allows you to automate your catalog listing and order management. Because of this, you have more time analyzing performance and make decisions. What it does for your business is that you can understand what customers are looking for, in which sales channel, and then you can sell what customers want.
- FDX Inside – this is a trademarked brand. This product or software is an aggregation program. It allows you to gather and normalize data that come from different sources. The platform has a cloud-based integration, so you do not have to worry about on-premises systems.
While Feedonomics only have three major features, the company does focus on the things that matter. For example, any company would certainly want to syndicate an ad and make sure that it runs on multiple platforms at the same time.
Instead of launching the ad on one platform at a time, Feedonomics makes it possible to launch the ad on several channels.
Another thing that I like is that it allows you to search marketplaces. With this PIM software tool, you will know what customers are looking for in major marketplaces.
For example, let us say you found out that many people on eBay are looking for brown leather shoes. Knowing this, you can tap this product and serve this particular market.
In essence, you are not running blind. The decisions you make are all based on data. You can even launch the same products on different sales channels at the same time. If you change your product info on Feedonomics, the same will apply to your different sales channels automatically.
- Works with different channels
- Supports multiple systems for eCommerce
- You can use it for advertising
- It streamlines product feed management
- No revenue sharing; you pay for the service, and that is it
There is no price available on the company’s site because they will give you a personalized quote. The price of their services is based on your SKU.
Best PIM system for businesses looking for software solutions built on the PHP platform.
Pricing: The price is not available; it depends on the core solutions you get.
Unique Feature: This information management PIM software is open source, and it specializes as a product information management PIM.
Pimcore is a huge platform that over 100,000 business establishments use its PIM tools in their distribution channels.
Here are the things it can do:
- Use it as a product information management platform
- Product data management
- Digital asset management
- Digital experience management
- Master data management (product information management PIM)
- Digital commerce platform (add it to your distribution channels)
- Customer data platform
It is an all-in-one suite, which can also be an alternative to the popular ERM software programs out there. With this platform, you can aggregate your product data, customer data, and many more.
- Product Information management PIM – this specific tool allows you to have perfect data in less time than it takes to gather and clean it. It is enterprise-grade, so it is best for big businesses. Here, you can do data modelling, manage product data, and use it for omnichannel deployment.
- Digital Asset Management – this feature is what they call DAM or data asset management. It is one of the company’s software solutions that allows you to manage your media assets. Some examples are videos, images, and other media content, including documents. The software enables you to integrate these assets and consolidate them.
- Digital Experience Management – also called DXP, this part of the PIM system allows you to optimize and personalize your customers’ digital experience. You can choose the GraphQL-API-based product data PIM system or use a hybrid with other modular platforms.
- Master Data Management – this is the core of the PIM system where you can consolidate data no matter how complex they are. It has a powerful master data management system. It allows you to manage data, make several versions, and consolidate them in a single repository.
- Headless Commerce – you can create a website-a fully functional eCommerce platform from this information management PIM software. You no longer have to rely on big companies like Shopify or Amazon.
- Lots of services to choose from
- The company offers long-term support
- There is a service level agreement with the company
- they offer client consultation
- There is a Pimcore academy where you can learn many things about product information management PIM software.
Based on reviews and my other sources, Pimcore starts at about $7,200 per year. This price includes access to long-term support and the Service Level Agreement features.
Best for businesses looking for data management and content syndication.
Pricing: Not available. You must contact Syndigo to get a quote.
Unique Feature: It also has a content management solution system.
Syndigo is not just an information management PIM software program but also a web-based system for managing content. Its main function is to streamline the processing and release of products in several channels.
Here are some of the things it can do:
- Create an accurate and optimized platform for data management
- Manage your data with an integrated PIM solution
- Syndicate or publish your products in various online marketplaces
- Enhance your content to increase your conversion rate
With Syndigo, employees can manage product attributes, streamline marketing operations, create workflows, and even customize reports.
Syndigo also released the first Active Content Engine. It allows you to manage a continuous flow of data in an entire eCommerce system. As a result, people can accelerate the movement of products.
- Create Content – there are three types of content that you can create: Syndigo-created, brand-created, and content from the Syndigo Marketplace. Here, you can create content that will allow you to reduce shipping delays, increase shopper conversion, and many more. Essentially, this tool allows you to close gaps in your product pages.
- Manage Content – what you can do with this feature is bring all your data into a single repository. You can bring all types of data, and the system will give you one seamless solution. This system is their version of master data management or MDM solution. Apart from bringing data here, you can also process it and manage it so you can get a high-level view of what is going on.
- Content Syndication – this is the system that makes it easy for you to deliver content to your partners and your customers. The system even allows you to create a syndication method where the delivery varies from one channel to another. The specific tool that you will use to get this done is the Active Content Engine. Syndigo also has a recipient network that you can take advantage of.
- Engagement System – you can enhance your product data content to help you bring about customer loyalty. The goal of this system is to help you increase conversion and deliver customer-centric product experiences. You can use it in-store or online.
- It offers a way to manage data efficiently
- You can use it to engage customers
- The system is excellent for optimizing sales in different distribution channels
- Works in many industries
Syndigo only offers its price to its users. They price the service according to the software solutions you need and how big your company is.
Best for businesses that need social media management and product syndication from an information management PIM software program.
Pricing: No pricing details available.
Unique Feature: It has social commerce baked in the PIM solution.
Productsup is information management PIM software for businesses that deal mostly with social media channels. Its unique value proposition is social commerce.
Social commerce means you can use the PIM solution on Facebook, TikTok, Instagram, Pinterest, and other social media platforms. You can post your product attributes on these channels and also use the system’s built-in image and video designer tool.
Here are the things it can do:
- Sort data and visualize them so you can make business decisions
- Integrate your products across several platforms and supplier catalogs
- Increase your sales and conversion with the P2C marketplace solution
- Enjoy enterprise-class data quality
- Syndicate your products with the PIM system
The PIM tool also has what they call 3D account management. It allows you to do data integration and receive data in real-time. From here, you can get actionable insights.
- Feed Management – control all the aspects of how you manage your products. This system can help you make the best use of your logistics and provide a global value chain to your entire company. You can give access to your employees to the feed management dashboard so they can make decisions.
- Marketplace Experience – this part of the information management PIM software enables you to list your products in multiple channels. You can unlock new ways to increase revenue, plus you can track product catalogs, data quality, orders, etc., all in one place.
- Product Content Syndication – this is what allows you to manage your digital assets and publish them on multiple sites with the same branding and content. The system enables you to publish content faster and share what you sell globally.
- Insights – the reports that you get here are not the typical reports that other platforms give you. Here, you will get actionable insights.
What I love about this tool is that it can provide the user with product-level performance. Many tools out there only provide sale reports, but then there is no report per product.
- The information management software has a feed management system
- You can use the social commerce system to distribute products in multiple channels
- Real-time visibility on data insights and digital assets
- Learn how to import data and media files with the onboarding programs
- Syndicate your digital assets in B2B and B2C distributors
You must contact Productsup to get a price quote. The price will depend on the product information management PIM systems that you need and the size of your company.
Best for online retailers whose main objective is to use PIM solutions for increased sales.
Pricing: The price for this PIM solution is not available.
Unique Feature: The information management PIM software allows you to integrate data from internal and external sources.
inRiver touts itself as the best among all PIM software solutions out there. Its main function is to allow you to increase sales seamlessly with the use of its PIM solutions and processes.
Here are the things that it can do:
- Data modeling for your digital assets
- Release your products across multiple channels
- Manage product data and ensure data quality at all times
- Create product experiences tailored for each buyer
- Distribute product data with its omnichannel technology
With inRiver, you can expect to sell more products without agonizing over data quality. The information management PIM software allows you to optimize your digital shelf, and also scale your business in other channels.
- Onboarding – there is an onboarding process that allows you to consolidate how you will onboard people in your organization. It reduces errors, and it provides your new employees the knowledge they need to perform their duties. With inRiver, you can also get data from your suppliers and use that as a training tool.
- Creation – you can customize how each customer sees a product. With it, you can enrich your product data and content with texts, images, and videos. Because of this, it would be easier to drive conversions to your online stores across multiple channels.
- Distribution – the distribution piece is what allows you to share your content across several platforms. If you want, you can release the same product at the same time without re-uploading it on every sales channel. It works best for companies that have complicated “go-to-market” strategies and processes.
- Evaluation – you can take control not only of your digital assets but also of your digital shelf. With the reporting tool, you can evaluate product performance not just from one store but from all sales fronts.
The beauty of the inRiver system is that it eliminates the guesswork. You can also eliminate busy work and only do the things that matter to your business instead of wasting time on repetitive tasks.
- Simple to use
- Focused on product distribution
- It has a powerful reporting tool
- There is a system where you can build tailored experiences
You must contact the company to get a price quote. There is no free trial, but you can book a demo to see how it works.
There are different names and types of the best PIM software programs. However, all of them are essentially the same thing.
Here are some of the common things you will hear:
- Product Content Management
- Product Data Management
- Product Resource Management
- Product Experience Management
Product content management refers to the process of what each product contains in terms of data. For example, it allows you to upload photos and samples of the product.
Product data refers to the information pertaining to the product. Some examples are size, colors, shipping cost, price, etc.
Product resource management is essentially the same thing. Your product is your resource, and you need to manage the information relevant to them.
Lastly, we have product experience management. This may have something to do with customer experience, as you also have to relate product data with how your customers feel.
All of these are, of course, revolving around the aspects of your product. However, you must not think that a PIM software program is a digital asset management program. Digital asset management is different. It refers to photographs, videos, etc.
Essentially, we can call a PIM software program a master data management program for your different sales channels. Note that the product information management PIM program is not an ERP.
ERP is an enterprise resource program; it allows you to integrate multiple programs into one. There are many ERP systems out there, and I have written about the best ones I have tried.
In addition, the PIM software is not an inventory management program. Therefore, if you are looking for the best Amazon inventory system, you will have to look for other products, not a product data management software program.
1. How much does a PIM system cost?
The variation is huge. There are PIM software programs that are free to use, so you can ditch your spreadsheets. However, there are also those that cost $25,000 per year. These expensive PIM software programs are typically the best options for huge companies like Samsung.
2. What is the difference between PLM and PIM?
PLM means product lifecycle management. You typically use it to record and analyze data for products that go stale or products that spoil.
Product lifecycle management also refers to the process where you list down what happens to a product. It starts from conception, planning, building a prototype, marketing, and finally, the sale to the customer and after-sales support.
3. Is PIM the same as product catalog management software?
In a way, they could be. But technically, they are different. PIM solution is not for catalogs but for internal management of product data. Product information management PIM is not something you use for what customers should see.
A product catalog system is an information management software program designed to manage prints for product catalogs. These could be external systems. Their purpose is to get printouts ready for customers to see in a brochure.
4. What is a PIM for eCommerce?
A PIM software program for eCommerce is one that you can use to store data about your products. From here, you can launch these product data to multiple channels. It only takes a few clicks, and the PIM tool will take care of everything.
5. Do you need a PIM with Shopify?
No, you do not need an information management PIM software for Shopify. The Shopify platform itself has a PIM software program. Here, you have a centralized repository. In addition, you can integrate Shopify with other platforms like Facebook and Amazon. Shopify is an information management PIM software itself if you ask me.
The two top options here are Akeneo and Informatica. Akeneo is the top one because it is easy to use. It has a modern design; it is keeping up with the times.
Akeneo is also useful in many industries, not just eCommerce. With it, you can standardize many of your company’s processes, making your business as seamless as possible.