A good video has a subtitle because it supports the hard of hearing. Studies also show that subtitles increase view time by 12%. But then, how do you add a subtitle to your video without hiring a transcriptionist?
The solution is to generate subtitles with an auto subtitle generator automatically. Of course, there are many of these now that you can use for free—but the best automatic subtitle generators are what you need.
Today, I will show you more than seven of the best auto subtitle generators so you can create subtitles before you upload videos.
Here is a list of the best automatic subtitle generators:
- Subtitle Bee
- Happy Scribe
Best for: YouTubers, filmmakers, and online course creators.
Unique Feature: Superbly accurate and fast.
Here are the steps on how to use Veed:
Step 1: Click on Create New Project.
Step 2: Upload the video file
Step 3: Click on Auto Transcribe
Step 4: Click on Subtitle and select the language it has to detect.
Step 5: Edit the subtitles and then export the subtitle file only or the entire video.
- Automatic Subtitles – you can automatically add subtitles after you upload videos. No need to type the words manually.
- Graphics and Animation – you can add an image to your videos; the tool also allows you to add audio and add other video effects
- Video Edit – you can cut, crop, and edit the video, not just the subtitles.
- Subtitle Edit – you can change the font size, position, and background of the subtitles according to your preference.
- File Download – you can download the subtitle in SRT and TXT format.
- Easy to use
- Fast and accurate
- You can download the subtitle in different file formats
- Big storage capacity
- You can edit the subtitle
- Free – limited 10 minutes of subtitle generation and storage of 2GB.
- Basic – costs $18 per month; video length is a maximum of 25 minutes with 20GB storage
- Pro – costs $30 per month with two hours of video length
- Business – costs $70 per month with 200 GB of storage
Get Veed now and try it for free!
2. Subtitle Bee
Best for: Social media influencers.
Unique Feature: You can share your videos directly to social media channels.
Here are the steps on how to generate subtitles with Subtitle Bee:
Step 1: Click on Upload New File
Step 2: Select media language
Step 3: Upload the file
Step 4: Wait for the subtitle to generate then edit
- Automatic Captions – adding subtitles has never been easier; upload your videos, and the software will add subtitles automatically.
- Subtitle Edit – you can edit your subtitles and how they look, which gives you leverage as far as style is concerned. You can customize your auto-captioning.
- Social Media Share – you no longer have to download video files after your video editing session. Just click on the specific social media login, and the program will automatically upload it for you.
- Languages – Subtitle Bee offers more than 100 languages that the program can detect. It can also create subtitles for these languages.
- Easy to use
- You can create multiple subtitles per video
- Huge maximum video upload size
- Multiple subtitle file formats
- Starter – costs $19 per month; the limit is 20 minutes per video and 2 GB
- Premium – costs $49 per month; the limit is 30 minutes per video and 5 GB
- Business – costs $129 per month; the limit is 60 minutes per video and 5 GB
Subtitle bee has a free account trial that you can get now to see how it works!
Best for: People who need free templates to facilitate less video editing work.
Unique Feature: There are templates you can use for your subtitle design.
Here are the steps on how to use Zubtitle:
Step 1: Click on ADD VIDEO
Step 2: Choose the video language and drag the video file.
Step 3:Edit the subtitles and trim the video as you deem fit.
- Add Titles – you can add not just captions but also headlines in your videos.
- Video Trim – you can cut your videos and crop them as you wish; you can also highlight parts of the videos.
- Logo Upload – you can upload images and logos to certain timestamps in your videos.
- Progress Animation – you can add animations that show progress to keep your audience engaged.
- You can remove the company’s watermark
- You get premium support
- The video editor has many uses, not just for editing subtitles
- The video file you upload has a limit of 20 minutes
- Free – your limit is to videos per month; you can add subtitles to a 20-minute video
- Guru – costs $19 per month; get access to all the editing tools and generate subtitles for 20 videos per month
- Agency – costs $49 per month; the limit is 30 videos per month
Zubtitle has a free-for-life account that you can try now!
Best for: People who not only need to generate subtitles automatically but also convert a video file to other formats.
Unique Feature: The program has a video converter and file compressor.
Here are the steps on how to use Media.IO to generate subtitles:
Step 1: Select the kind of video you want to create.
Step 2: Click on GET STARTED NOW
Step 3: Upload your media
Step 4: Click on SUBTITLE > START AUTO-SUBTITLE / Edit the subtitles as necessary and then export the video
- Audio and Video Files Converter – you can convert your files into another format to fit your purpose.
- Audio and Video Files Compressor – you can compress your files to smaller sizes without affecting data quality and integrity.
- Screen and Camcorder – you can record your screen and camera if you want to add some more items to your videos.
- Video Editor – the editor allows you to trim, cut, and edit parts of your video.
- The program is affordable
- You can compress files
- It has a video converter
- Free – your limit is 30 minutes per video, and you access the background remover.
- Basic – costs $3.95 per month; you can generate subtitles for videos that are two hours long.
- Pro – costs $6.66 per month; compress unlimited files and enjoy 6x faster speed in the auto subtitle editor tool.
Try the free version now and see how it compares with other tools that generate subtitles!
5. Happy Scribe
Best for: People who want an automatic subtitle generator software program plus transcription services.
Unique Feature: It has a transcription program.
Here are the steps for adding subtitles with Happy Scribe:
Step 1: Select Subtitles
Step 2: Click on Upload File
Step 3: Upload the video and choose the language; select Machine-generated; click Submit
Step 4: Edit the subtitle.
- Accuracy – the automatic subtitle feature has an accuracy rating of 85%; the human-made transcription is 99% accurate.
- Turnaround – get your subtitles in half the time compared to your audio length
- Multiple Services – you can choose between a human-made transcription or an automatic one.
- It has a transcription software
- You have the option to use auto subtitle or have it human-made
- The cost of video subtitles is affordable
- Automatic – there is a free trial, and you will pay €0.20 per minute to add subtitles automatically.
- Human-Made – a human, will do your transcription and subtitles; the cost is €2.00 per video minute.
Happy Scribe has a free trial that you can take advantage of now!
Best for: People who need subtitles and voiceovers.
Unique Feature: Has transcription and text-to-speech systems.
Here are the steps on how to get subtitles from MaestraSuite:
STEP 1: Click on NEW SUBTITLE
STEP 2: Select the video and toggle the options; click SUBMIT
STEP 3: Edit the subtitle and export.
- Transcription – the subtitle and transcription are available in over 75 languages
- Export Quality – you can choose between HD and 4K for your final video output
- File Size – you can upload up to 8 hours of video
- Shareable Transcript – you can share the subtitles and transcript with other users
- Voiceover – this program also has a text-to-speech system where it will create voiceovers for your videos.
- You can upload large files
- You can translate into over 75 languages
- No limit on video export
- There is a custom dictionary
- Pay As You Go – costs $10 per hour; you only pay for the work you need to do.
- Premium – costs $5 per month; use the system unlimited.
MaestraSuite offers a free trial that you can get here.
Best for: People who need a subtitle generator and a video editor rolled into one.
Unique Feature: The tool has a video editor that you can use to enhance your projects.
Here are the steps on how to generate auto-subtitles from Kapwing:
STEP 1: Upload a new project.
STEP 2:Click on SUBTITLES and AUTO-GENERATE
STEP 3:Edit the subtitles and export.
- Meme Generator – you can create memes from your videos or from images that you upload. This feature is useful if you want to create social media posts.
- Video Editing – you can cut, crop, and trim videos; you can also remove backgrounds.
- Text-to-Speech – if you need a voiceover, Kapwing can read your text file and then produce a voiceover.
- Screen Recorder – you can record your screen and add the content to your current video.
- Unlimited Storage – the PRO plan allows you to save all your projects on the servers of Kapwing.
- You can export projects that are one hour long
- Unlimited editing
- Export a 1080p resolution
- You can remove images from the background
- Free – unlimited exports with a limit of 250MB for your video upload.
- Pro – costs $24 per month; the upload limit is 6 GB per video file
- For Teams – costs $24 per month also; get all PRO features plus unlimited users
You can get Kapwing for free with their free-for-life plan!
Best for: People who want to convert audio to video
Unique Feature: You can convert audio to video with soundwaves.
Here are the steps to use the Subly subtitle generator:
STEP 1: Select TRANSCRIBE
STEP 2:Browse and upload your file
STEP 3: Click on UPLOAD AND TRANSCRIBE
STEP 4: Edit the transcription.
- Subtitles and Captions – the generation of the subtitles are automatic; you also have the option to edit the subtitles and their backgrounds.
- Downloads – you can export the video and also the subtitles as separate files.
- Translator – if you want, you can translate your subtitle to another language. There are over 67 languages available in the system.
- Audio to Video – you can convert your audio into a video. The video will show sound waves.
- Easy to use
- Large storage provision
- You can download the transcript as a separate file
- Pro – costs $14 per month; you have a limit of 100 minutes per month and a maximum of 10GB of storage
- Premium – costs $31 per month; you have a limit of 240 minutes per month and a maximum of 50GB of storage
- Business – costs $135 per month; you have a limit of 1,000 minutes per month and a maximum of 200GB of storage
Get Subly now and enjoy your 7-day free trial!
Native subtitle generation means that if you upload the video, the platform will automatically create the subtitles. You can find this on social media platforms. The best there are YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram.
You can generate subtitles for your YouTube videos for free, and it is easy. YouTube has decided that it allows content to get distributed to more audiences.
The steps to create automatic subtitles for your videos are simple. Just upload your videos as you normally would, and then follow these steps.
- On the left-hand menu, click Subtitles
- Select the video that you want to have subtitles
- Click on ADD LANGUAGE
- You will see different languages; choose the language of the audio
- Under the Subtitles section, click on ADD.
The only gripe I have with the system is that it is inaccurate. There are so many errors. Even as a viewer, I find the subtitle or captions on YouTube lacking. If you want to impress your viewers and make money on YouTube, use a subtitle generator from the list I provided.
Facebook still reigns as the king of social media platforms. Many people who upload their videos here do not use YouTube. Most of the time, they share homemade videos with their family and friends.
Here are the steps to use the automatically generated subtitles on Facebook:
- In one of your videos, go to the EDIT POST button
- Click on the CAPTIONS tab, and then choose GENERATE
- Re-watch the video for errors
- Edit the captions as you deem fit
- Click on SAVE
Like YouTube, the algorithm of Facebook for subtitles is not as accurate as paid ones. Facebook also has a speech recognition software program now in all your posts. For example, if you post in Hindi, viewers have the option to let Facebook show the text in English.
To use the automatic subtitle generator on Instagram, you must make some adjustments in your account settings. The steps below will help you do this.
- Go to SETTINGS > ACCOUNT
- Select CAPTIONS
- Turn on the AUTO-GENERATED CAPTIONS
After uploading a video, go to the ADVANCED SETTINGS area of the video, which you will find at the bottom. Then, turn on the AUTO-GENERATED CAPTIONS. Tap on DONE, and you should be good to go.
To automatically generate subtitles, you need an automatic subtitle generator. It is a software program designed to create subtitles, edit subtitles, and provide a subtitle file. As a result, you no longer need a transcriptionist to do it.
Here are the basic steps on how to create automatic subtitles:
- Launch the program
- Upload your video that has audio
- Click the appropriate button for the auto subtitle generator
- Wait until the program is done
From here, you have two options. The first one is to re-download the video with the subtitle. The second one is only to download the subtitle file only.
If you choose the second one, you can combine the original video with the subtitle in your preferred video editing software.
Many auto subtitle generator programs today also allow you to edit the subtitles from the program. For example, you can change the font of the text, and you can also change the background where the text sits.
You can generate subtitles or add subtitles to your videos in several ways. It is up to you to choose which one is the most convenient or practical.
The first method is to use a program that can generate subtitles automatically. To use a tool like this, you only have to upload the video and then let the tool do the work.
All these tools have a subtitle editor. They allow you to change the subtitles, as the creators know fully well that they cannot create a perfect subtitle generator. For example, you can remove the “oohs,” “aaahhhms,” and other fillers.
You can also edit the position of the subtitle, its color, background, and font type to match the mood or style yet you are aiming for.
The second method is to hire a transcriptionist. This person will listen to the audio and manually type the subtitle. This person uses a transcription tool.
There is a difference between a transcription tool and a subtitle generator. The transcription tool requires manual typing of words. The person using it must also adjust the time the subtitle will show in accordance with the video timing.
The third method is to do it yourself. You can play our video while the speech recognition software is active. For example, you can use MS Word to type the words it hears.
This process is cumbersome. You must edit the text, the punctuations, etc. Then, you need to upload it in any of the free video editing program or video editing software where you can add the text manually on specific timestamps in the video where the subtitle should appear.
The last is to simply upload the video to a social media platform and then allow the social media platform to create the subtitle. You can do this now with YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram.
Veed is what I highly recommend. They have an excellent platform with a high accuracy rating. The prices for their paid services are also affordable.
If you are going to upload lots of videos with subtitles, I would advise you to invest in a good auto subtitle program. You cannot afford to go wrong, as an inaccurate auto subtitle generator can cost you time and money.
Here is the list of the best automatic subtitle programs you can use:
- Veed – Best for: YouTubers, filmmakers, and online course creators.
- Subtitle Bee – Best for: Social media influencers.
- Zubtitle – Best for: People who need free templates to facilitate less video editing work.
- Media.IO – Best for: People who not only need to generate subtitles automatically but also convert a video file to other formats.
- Happy Scribe – Best for: People who want an automatic subtitle generator software program plus transcription services.
- MaestraSuite – Best for: People who need subtitles and voiceovers.
- Kapwing – Best for: People who need a subtitle generator and a video editor rolled into one.
- Subly – Best for: People who want to convert audio to video