Do you love watching YouTube videos with subtitles?
Subtitles enhance the viewing experience of a movie or music video. They also come in handy in scenes with a noisy background where you strain to hear.
If you are watching a movie in a foreign language, you may not enjoy it much.
Yet, watching the same with subtitles, you immerse in the story. The viewing experience improves.
Downloading subtitles is also helpful with learning.
A YouTube subtitle downloader enables you to fetch text from your favorite videos. The software also has multiple language subtitles and much more.
I have curated a list of the best YouTube subtitle downloaders for 2023.
Read about them here.
- 4K Downloader
Best for simultaneous video subtitle extraction.
DownSub features a navigable design with fast subtitle downloads.
Does the tool support other languages besides English? Yes, it can easily download subtitles in over 50 languages.
Its downloads are of superb quality, with clear and easy-to-read subtitles.
If you are an online music video enthusiast, you will find this downloader a most-useful resource.
Additionally, using the tool is simple. You only need to copy and paste a video URL into the DownSub text box.
You can download YouTube subtitles in two ways:
- By copying and pasting the video link.
- Adding the phrase “subtitles.to/” at the start of the video link and press the Enter button after that.
However, the second option triggers a host of annoying ads.
- It supports numerous formats such as VTT, TXT (Text Document), and SRT (Sub Rip Subtitle)
- It can download six subtitles from one YouTube video.
- The tool has simultaneous download abilities.
- DownSub supports numerous video streaming sites.
- It has an extensive user network.
- There are subtitles for nearly every video on YouTube.
- It is a versatile tool that you can use both online and offline.
- It is fast and convenient.
- It does not work on videos with multiple subtitle languages.
- The tool has a limit of six videos per download instance.
Downsub is a free online resource.
Here is the link to download the free YouTube subtitle downloader.
Best for sharing already downloaded subtitles.
Savesubs is an efficient subtitle downloader that works on all browsers.
It has a user-friendly interface that anyone, whether beginner or pro, can use.
Even more fulfilling is that you can download subtitles easily from other sites besides YouTube. The site supports Facebook, Instagram, Vimeo, and Twitter, among others.
I liked the subtitle editing feature that allows you to edit before clicking the download button.
Furthermore, Savesubs supports the ripping of subtitles from local videos posted by content creators in your region.
Also, the website lets you extract captions from videos already saved on your PC.
- It supports popular video-sharing sites.
- A sharing feature on the website allows you to share subtitles.
- The website supports downloading multiple files.
- It has two user screen modes, dark and light.
- The downloader supports DEXP, SBV, HTML, SSA, and SRT formats.
- It has a text-based tool and a GUI.
- The website supports over 14 subtitle formats.
- The tool is always available online.
- There are regular updates on the site.
- It is a web-based resource that requires no downloading.
- The site allows the download of editable files.
- You can create a file to save your subtitles before downloading.
- The saved files are not automatic and require matching with the source video.
- It is a little complicated.
Savesubs is free, but you can make a charitable donation of funds to the website owners.
Go to this link to access Savesubs and start downloading subtitles.
Best for searching already downloaded subtitles.
YouSubtitles features a simple user interface that favors both experienced and inexperienced users.
It boasts an extensive subtitle database making it a much sought-after resource. Similarly, a recommended videos list on its interface helps you explore further options.
As a browser-based website, it means that you do need to download any software.
You can download subtitles in different languages using YouSubtitles.
Would you like to translate your subtitles? If so, this online tool offers translated versions.
Another thing I liked about this tool is the sheer strength of ripping subtitles from YouTube playlists.
Regarding usage, there is nothing complicated when downloading files. Here are the steps
- Head to the YouSubtitles user interface.
- Paste the YouTube video link into the search box.
- Click download.
- Choose SRT or TXT file format.
- Pick your desired subtitle language.
Your file downloads after a couple of seconds, and you can save it in a folder.
- It has an extensive subtitles database that helps ease the search.
- The website arranges subtitles neatly.
- It supports SRT and TXT format downloads.
- YouSubtitles has excellent language translation abilities. You can translate your files from English to Italian or Spanish.
- It is a simple subtitles downloader.
- The website does not allow copyrighted videos.
- It is a reliable tool.
- Occasional hitches slow down the website.
- Its sight can disorient a first-time user.
The website is a free resource.
Head to the YouSubtitles website and click on it to download the tool.
Best for downloading subtitles for specific video segments.
DVDVideoSoft has a unique aspect that enables you to download specifically closed captions.
It is a straightforward tool with a text box and a download button. You only have to paste a URL into this box and click download to get your subtitles.
Once you feed an URL into it, the site will search a list of all subtitles for the specified video. It will then get you the link with the best subtitle.
However, the website can only download up to six videos at any instance. Nonetheless, there is a premium version with limitless downloads.
The site also gives you customization options that you can select before downloading captions.
Did you know that DVDVideoSoft can fetch YouTube transcripts? Now you do.
I also noticed that there is another tool that comes with this website, the DVDVideoSoft Downloader.
This latter software downloads YouTube videos.
- It posts timestamps on all downloaded subtitles.
- The website can download specific sections only without having to rip an entire video.
- It provides SRT files for your videos.
- It downloads subtitles fast.
- There are numerous formats at your disposal.
- It is a straightforward tool.
- Downloading older versions exposes you to bugs.
- It does not work for YouTube music videos.
This tool is 100% free, but there is a commercial version with a subscription.
Download this subtitles downloader using this link.
Best for fast response subtitle downloads.
The VidPaw Subtitle Downloader comes in a browser and tool mode. Both options enable you to download closed captions.
The website has a neat, non-clumsy interface with no pop-up ads. Additionally, the site has a clearly visible text box.
It extracts YouTube video subtitles without having to download the video.
Like the other tools in my review, VidPaw Subtitle Downloader uses a straightforward process. What We Didn’t Likeists of copying the YouTube video URL and pasting it on the app.
Does copy-pasting feel like an exhausting task? VidPaw has a shortcut.
You can also stream videos on the site by removing the phrase “youtube.com” on the URL and replacing it with “youtubepaw.com.”
It will yield the desired results. The software will start downloading your files in seconds.
Once you paste the video link into the text box and hit download, you will see a subtitle tab in the download section.
Everyone would expect to have their favorite songs, shows, and movies available only a click away.
Unfortunately, VidPaw Subtitle Downloader does not support cross-platform downloading of content.
- The website can download two videos simultaneously.
- It has fast downloads.
- It supports numerous languages.
- The site offers downloads in various formats.
- It downloads files in SRT format.
- It does not require account creation or log in.
- The software works across all desktop and mobile devices.
- It has a simple user interface.
- You require another software to merge the subtitles with the video.
- It is only compatible with YouTube.
It is 100% free, with no sign-up required.
Here is the link to the subtitles downloader.
Best for real-time and secure subtitle downloads.
YouTube4kdownloader is an online YouTube CC downloader. It offers formats such as DFXP, TXT, VTT, and SRT.
The site can grab autogenerated subtitles or search for existing ones using the traditional copy-paste method.
If the website hits a dead end in its search, it returns a message that reads, “Can’t download subtitle. Please try other subtitle formats.”
It supports other video streaming sites besides YouTube.
You can download a Chrome extension as an alternative way of extracting subtitles using this software.
- The site supports numerous languages.
- It has a web browser extension.
- There are no download limits.
- It is a purely online site with no downloadable software.
- You will enjoy fast downloads.
- It has disruptive ads on its interface.
- Misleading masks redirect you to other websites.
It is 100% free.
Visit the YouTube4kdownloader website at this link.
Best for adding subtitles to videos.
4K Download Software is more of a video downloader, yet it makes my list thanks to its YouTube subtitle extraction abilities.
It features an interactive user interface that you get accustomed to quickly. Not only does the tool extract subtitle files, but it also has a reputation for downloading high-quality videos.
Additionally, you can edit subtitles with the software.
4K Download Software extracts text from YouTube and other sites such as SoundCloud, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Regarding language, you have a choice of 50+ languages or stick to auto-generated subtitles.
- The software works on Linux, Windows, and macOS platforms.
- It supports over 50 different subtitle languages, including English, French, Spanish, Japanese, and Russian.
- The site downloads text files in SRT, DFXP, VTT, and TXT formats.
- It has unlimited downloads.
- There are no ads or upsells in the premium version.
- The software developers issue frequent updates.
- The site has helpful and efficient user support.
- The free version has ads.
- It does not run on mobile platforms.
The downloader has a free version that works perfectly.
It also has a licensed version with a one-time fee that lasts a lifetime.
Here is your link to the 4K Download software.
A YouTube subtitles downloader is an online tool that fetches video closed captions.
These subtitles are a result of video transcripts submitted by users when uploading content on YouTube.
So when you want to watch a video in a language you can understand, YouTube can generate its subtitles.
An online YouTube subtitle downloader enables you to have these subtitles.
However, you can only download subtitles directly if the video in question has them.
The download process entails copying the video’s URL and pasting it into the downloader’s interface.
Clicking the download button after that gets you a text file in a matter of seconds.
I will demonstrate the step-by-step process using the Savesubs subtitle downloader.
Here are the steps:
- Copy the link to the YouTube video whose subtitles you’re seeking.
- Open the tab or browser window with the downloader website.
- On the website’s interface, you will see a text box.
- Paste the video URL into that box.
- Next to the search box is a Download button. Click on it.
- Scroll down to the “Options” button. Click on the drop-down arrow to reveal the file name options.
- Below that, you will see file names and available output formats. Choose your preference. Savesubs has three formats, i.e., SRT, VTT, and TXT.
- Click on TXT (denoting Text).
- Wait for the downloader to extract the video’s subtitles.
Once the download is completed, you can save your file in a specified folder.
You can download YouTube subtitles directly from the site or use an online downloader. I will share tips on both methods.
- Search for the YouTube video
- Locate the settings icon displayed at the bottom of the video. It resembles a wheel cog. Click on it to reveal four options. One of them is “Subtitles.” Its icon comprises the initials CC enclosed in a box.
- Next, click on “Subtitles” and select a language from one of the options.
- After that, locate the three-dot icon at the video’s bottom. Select the “Open transcript” option.
- A drop-down menu will appear, showing the available languages. Select the one you desire.
- Select all the transcripts by dragging your cursor.
- Copy and paste them into a word document.
- Copy the video’s URL.
- Open the online downloader in a different tab.
- Paste the link in the downloader’s text box.
- Click on the download button to start downloading files.
- Choose the language you want, output format, and editing options.
- Save the text document in a folder.
YouTube content is not always in English. There are instances where you want to download foreign language videos to listen to at your convenience.
You can only comprehend what the video is about with the help of subtitles. That is where a YouTube subtitle downloader online comes in handy.
The software extracts subtitles in seconds, and you can edit the text files.
SRT is the most popular subtitle file format. All the online YouTube subtitle downloaders in my review will fetch files in SRT format.
I trust that you will find my list of the 7 best YouTube subtitle downloaders most helpful in your quest.
I have shared with you free tools that do not require subscriptions or creating user accounts.
On the contrary, some of the software has premium upgrades. You are at liberty to upgrade if your budget allows it.
Additionally, there are step-by-step instructions on how to download subtitles from YouTube.
So, if you have never used similar tools before, you now have a headstart.
At this point, I will now wrap things up with a summary of the 7 best YouTube subtitle downloaders. Here’s a look at them again.
- DownSub – Best for simultaneous video subtitle extraction.
- Savesubs – Best for sharing already downloaded subtitles.
- YouSubtitles – Best for searching already downloaded subtitles.
- DVDVideoSoft – Best for downloading subtitles for specific video segments.
- VidPaw Subtitle Downloader – Best for quick response subtitle downloads.
- YouTube4kdownloader – Best for real-time and secure subtitle downloads.
- 4K Download Software – Best for adding subtitles to videos.